Feelings of apprehension, abit nervous .... not really scare ...
But just wonder how thick is the needle going to be ? Since the last time I went down the nurse did mentioned its pretty thick ? *Faint*
I very suay ku .. never donate blood before .. so no idea how thick the needle will be?
Dunno will it be painful leh ...
And the est time it will take is 2 hrs ................
====================================================
Left office at around 245 pm .... my appt is at 3 pm .....
Sort of knew I would be late liao!
I dont know why the main building of SGH need to be located so right in? I never look forward to the walk in ... and its always so HOT!
And I always think its pretty sad to walk into hospital ? Not saying that in hospital will be sad news .. pregnant is good news.
Only reached @ 310 pm .. paiseh .. late for 10 mins ....
Nurse passed me some forms to sign .. to declare ... ask some qns ...
A guy was lying there making donation too ....
Another lady I suspect is undergoing chemotherapy.
I realise the nurses here are happy people even though they faced death everyday.
Chit-chatting happily .... they were complaining about some senior people who came to check on them ? And posting some questions to them.
Alot of laughter in the room.
The nurse ask if I needed anything .. or what ?
Requested for newspaper .. must self entertain ... since it will take 2 hrs ...
Suddenly, I felt hungry ....LOL
Must be nervous .... stomach acting ...
Lie on the bed, the nurse was preparing the equipment ... needles ... and the bags
Decided that Im not going to look at her poking into my veins ... wait my muscle tense up ... and she cant poke in ! Lagi worse!
She took out some needles .... Hmm . the look quite tiny mah.
Then I realise .. that is for the anesthesia!Chey .. tot its the needle to draw the blood?
And I dint know need anesthesia.
Can feel abit of tingling when the needle was poke in.
Now is the real thing ... ok la .. the needle is not thicker than I imagine.
Geez .... no pain was felt when the needle was poke in! Felt so relief.
The nurse start to explain the process and how the machine will help.
The blood is draw into the machine, there is a bowl which collect the blood and it will spin at a very high speed to separate the blood into (1) plasma, (2) platelets, (3) white blood cells and (4) red blood cells.
Plasma being the lightest is being spin out first into a bag, then follow by the platelets into another bag.
What my colleague's cousin need is the platelets.
I think the white and red blood cells are left inside the machine (since I dont see them?)
After which, the plasma is draw back into the machine, mixed(?) back with my white and red blood cells. Another chemical is mixed together with them so that it can be return back to my body through the same tube.
When the blood is return, due to this chemical, I will feel cold and some numbness.
The drawing of blood and returning is 1 cycle.
For this platelets donation, I will go through 7 cycles.
For blood platelets donation, they go by yield ... not ml.
Yield is something like the quality of the platelets.
Understand that she will need 3 bags of such platelets for her 7 days x 24 hrs of chemo.
Platelets are needed as after her chemo, her platelets level will drop very low ....and her body will not be strong enough to reproduce her own platelets at this moment.
So the donated platelets will help to substain her till she can reproduce her own platelets.
Wah .. I learnt quite abit of stuff today!
==================================================
The whole process was quite ok ... no pain .. just abit of tingling sensation .. numbness .. coldness here and there.
I was quite bored actually, cant stop yawning!
Looking at the machine, its really wonder of technology!
I also wonder if .. hmmm .. they wash the machine ?
Or ... hmm .. its like 1 machine is for 1 blood type?
If not, some residue of the other blood mix with another blood type ... then the recipent might have rejection effect on them ?
Hmmm ..... ok .. I have weird thots ...
And its really amazing that it can return blood to me through the same tube at the same process ??
It was completed after around 2 hrs ...
========================================================
My colleague knowing that I was going to donate blood platelets for her cousin ...
was so ke qi .... bought me breakfast and soya milk this morning ! Aiyo ...
Also understand that her cousin have gone for 1 round of chemo .. which was for 7 days and for 24 hrs ?? With just half an hr break in between ??
I cant imagine this leh .............
How can your body takes all these chemicals??
And due to her chemo, her body has darken ...like burnt due to the chemcials ... :(
But the good news is that she is reacting well to the chemo, so no need bone marrow transplant!
My other colleagues were also very nice ...
reminded me must eat more for lunch ....
sms me to check if Im ok ...
remind me that if I feel faint must take cab home ...
Was really touched by their gesture ..
=================================================
Another colleague commented that I was very Wei3 Da4 to volunteer ?
Hmm ... I just feel that it doesnt kill to donate ? i got nothing to lose anyway ..
And at least I know whom I donating for ?
Not any tom, dick or harry.
So .. good deed for the day.
And hopefully she will recover soon bah ...
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
welcome to the blood donation club. remember to exercise with care for the first 2-3 weeks.
Good deed indeed esp you have to conquer your fear of needles.
Thumbs up!!! :-)
Post a Comment