Sunday, December 31, 2006

Feelings about 2006

Completed the list of events (significant ones or the ones I can remembered) that happen in 2006, so that when I turn senile or lose my memory, someone can remind me what had happened?

I start to ask myself … has 2006 a good year for me?

The society (ie Singapore at large) define a person (of my age) success … happiness by
Whether are you success in your career, ie .. are u earning $ xx amt ? or you are at YY position
Whether are you married? Or at least attached (chances of getting married higher)? If you are “luckier”, you have a kid by now?
Whether you have a car?
Blah blah blah ..

Hmm … if I need to measure myself against the above points, Im a failure! Total Failure!
I have none of the above?!
No $ xx amt …. Just $x amt
Not at YY position
Not married
No boyfriend
No kid
No car

But if I judge it myself, ignoring how other perceive me. I think 2006 had been a good year … or to the extent of great? From the scale of 1 – 10, I will give it 8.

Im not earning big bucks. But hey ..at least I have a job? I managed to travel twice this year?
Im not holding some high position, having nice drop down window with magnificent view at some posh office, or have a team of army reporting to me. But at least, I no need to play office politics? Or be involved in any?
Im not attached, not married, no kid. But I have good friends whom I know I can relied on, whom I can bitch, whine and complain to, whom wont judge me, who know me well enough, accept the way I am. I know a group of like-minded friends who run crazy distance with me, pig out with me.
I got no car. But my friends dont mind driving me around!

So at the end of the day, I guess it is really how you value yourself. Do you want to be mean to yourself? Always comparing yourself with other people. Making yourself look so pathetic, make yourself unhappy.

Ha … But Im not saying I don’t whine, bitch about my life!
Why Im not earning more … so I can splurge without thinking?
Why not at any high position?
Why no boyfriend?
Why not slim?
Why not pretty?

But at the end of the day …. Deep down in my heart, I know Im still fortunate compare to other people!

So I hope for more good years to come for me and all my friends out there!

6 comments:

KickJazz said...

WOW! EXCELLENT POST, Loti!!!!
*hail*

Thanks for this very meaningful post and a very good reminder to us all to put things into perspectives and to ask ourselves what is most important!
*2 thumbs up*

Thanks for this gentle nudge (for me personally) !

To many more good years!

kops21 said...

Yes Manager Madam. tigger good boi in 2006 also...:)

Ronnie said...

ya lor !!! u are already considered better off than most of us here, including me. If that also considered failure, then I think I better jump down from 30th floor !

Charlotte said...

wah ..Ronnie .nvr ask u to make comparsion.

Must put a disclaimer.. even with all my "saintly" talk ..
I still bitch ..mourn .. whine abt my life!
Talk is always easy!Free!
Action is harder!

Sotong said...

Anthony Robbins actually did this in one of his talk:

He ask someone for a 50 dollar note. He crumpled it, stepped on it, rolled it around.

Then he gave the $50 to someone and ask if he'll want it. The guy replied 'yes'.

Moral of the story:
"No matter how we get thrashed about, criticized at or take a mental/physical(?) beating, our value remains the same. So don't belittle yourself just because some one else did that to you"

Cheers and have a great 2007 ahead!!!

roentgen said...

Loti, I am very impressed with this post. WOW (Words of Wisdom) indeed... :D