I always feel that the walk into SGH from Outram MRT is very long and hot!
Yes .. it still did feel long and hot on friday.
Gave the name of the patient that I intend to donate for.
The nurse start to check my veins ... make sure that it is obvious enough. One is not enough .. it must be obvious on both arms. Apparently, you can hardly find the vein on my left arm, need some constant beating before she can really feel it.
Pass me 2 pg questionaires that would be asked when I donate.
Draw 2 small test tubes of blood. I looked away when she poked the needle in. Not that Im scared of needles, but I just dont like the idea of looking at the nurse poking into my veins?
The nurse noticed that I look away ....
"Are you afraid of needles?"
"Not really, ... just not comfortable looking at them poking thru my veins ... "
"Oh ... Hmmm ......."
"So how big will the needles that will be used during the donation .. "
"Well .... it will be much bigger than this .... "
*Faint*
"The whole process of donating blood platelets will take 1.5 - 2 hrs, it will be around 7 cycles where we draw n return back the blood to u"
"Huh?! 7 cycles ?!?! U r not gg to POKE ME 7 times right?!?! "
"No no .. just once"
*Think if she going to poke me 7 times .. I will faint there... *
I also learnt that blood platelets can only be kept up to 5 days. Therefore, the clinic will only call up the donors when she needs the platelets.
If the patient does not have her own pool of donors, she would need to buy from the blood bank .. and it will be from different donors, chances of rejections will be higher.
Rejections rate get higher if it is not the same blood type as her own.
Learn some new stuff today.
No comments:
Post a Comment