Monday, January 01, 2007

Ultramarathon

Hmm . .wanted to try out Ultramarathon just a test for myself ... see how far I can go .. and whether I can complete the 5 rounds as any other people...
Told myself that just do try and do as much as I can lor ... cannot .. then stop lor... no big deal

Sat night
I was still undecided whether to run Ultra! Damned!
Still went ahead to make sandwiches for myself and whoever who dare to eat.
Start to whine, moan to the unfortunate Sg runners who were on my MSN, i was undecided whether to run for Ultra!

Went to read the thread in the forum on Ultramarathon, I have not been reading this thread at all. Saw that Eunice have the same concern as me about not having an extra pair of shoes.

It has been raining cats n dogs for the past week. Imaged MR grounds to be wet, muddy, soggy, disgusting! Yucks! I dont want to run in mud! So digusting! Yes ... Im a gu niang!
I dont have an old pair of shoes that I want to throw away, I dont have an extra pair of shoes that I dont mind getting dirty if I need to change shoes.

Went ahead to pack my bag for tom event anyway ... all the extra clothes, socks, food.
Mentally, I wasnt excited at the thoughts of running Ultra, the thoughts of muddy terrains just put me off! I asked myself whether to listen to my heart ... why do something if Im not going to enjoy it ?
I was more excited of the thoughts of doing my own run from MR to nearby?

Anyway, decide not to "fan2" over this kind of trival stuff ... went to update abit of my travel blog ... slept ... will wake up tom and then decide! If it rain in the morning, then nothing to think liao .. I wont run! kekeke

Sun
Woke up at 5 am, gave Kelly her morning call.
Wah .. the weather so good .... win liao lor .... now still must think! haha
Change, took breakfast (1 slice of peanut butter bread + meiji choco milk).
Went down to wait for bus ... hope to catch the 1st bus to MR ... wait for 15 mins till 610 .. no bus in sight! haha ... If im late .. then no need to run liao lor .... :P
Decide to take another bus to bt timah rd, & see if there are other buses which I could take to MR. Surprisingly, there are actually 3 other buses?
Wow man ........ I reached MR at 635 am.
Saw Renoh, he also have registered for the event.

Decide to register first then c how. Saw Eunice, was very happy that she is here! :)
1st round
Ran with Eunice and kelly at close proximity. Gradually, I increase pace and overtook Kelly, with Eunice still within sight. Was very surprised to find the grounds dry?! The stretch till the SCC was really dry, as it was quite rocky, not much issue.
Went down the road outside SCC, turn left into MR again. That is our 1st waterpoint.
Did not take any water there, since I have my bottle with me.
Slight upslope here

At the junction, where you can choose either go straight or take a left turn. We took a left turn here, here has less stones, but the grounds are muddy either. Has abit of downslope here, which was quite fun to run down.
Charmane, Cfred, Bala overtook me here.


Got to run on wooden boardwalks, up and down the stairs. Eunice trip and fall at some point, luckily she was alright!
Pass by the golf course ... Oh man ... it is muddy here! I should have followed gentle they all in running on the grassy patch of the golf course! Next round!
Its still nice and cooling at the golf course.

There was this particular stretch where the grounds were very muddy .. sticky .. slippery! Walking on it, I can feel that I need to pull my shoes out from the grounds. Make me think that the mud is very good for mud spa!?

We exit out to run @ the main road beside the highway. There was a waterpoint here also.
Ran together with Eunice.
About to make a left turn into MR, saw LKY standing there with his camera. But he did not took a photo of us?! We dont think he recognise us! Eunice was saying ... shd pose n ask him to take a photo of us while we still look fresh n good!

Back into MR.... felt so happy! Yeah .. I completed 1 round! :)
Saw Sotong with his camera, posed for him to take a photo of me and eunice!


2nd round
Eunice decide to go to the toilet to wash out some of the mud she got when she fell.
Went ahead without her.
Run... run .... run ... still feel good!

Reach the point where we can either head straight to HSBC treetop walk or make a left turn. There was a gantry there, dont find this place familiar ... damned! Am I on the right route ?! I dont want to run extra leh!
Turn around, saw Eunice a distance behind, checked with her .... both of us are also not sure.
Decide to wait for more runners to appear. Ask a few .. all not sure?! Saw a uncle .. he mention that he turn the other way its not correct ...
Ok lor .. then this way should be correct bah ....
Suddenly, find this red mud ground familiar ...... think we are on the right route?
Saw the MR marshal ..... HENG AH ..... correct!

Saw Eunice again at the waterpoint along the highway. Renoh was there, seems like his legs are giving him some problems?
Went ahead while Eunice was having her waterbreak

Completed 2 rounds in 2 hrs 44 min.

3rd round
Same route ... but once i just enter into MR ... i felt tired!
I was panting .... u mean this part was actually a slope?! damned it !
No energy ah ............ feeling giddy .... die lor ... 3rd round only.

Tell myself to run .. and stop when i felt tired ...
Dont want to later faint inside ....

Saw Balasing in front of me also ... he was also running . .stopping to take a walk.
He disappeared shortly after.

Eunice overtook me shortly, she was still going strong.

During my 3rd round, while going up and down the slope .. the muddy grounds.
I asked myself .... can i do the 4th and 5th round.
I feel fatigue coming in ... giddy .. tired ...
Then i told myself .... actually giving up is very easy? But continuing is difficult ... but u will find satisfactions at the end?
So is life like this also? When you are faced with a problem, giving up is easy ... but if you continue, you might find the light at the end of the tunnel? I dont know .....
And life is also like the slope Im running now? Got ups and Downs?
Think Im crazy ... think so much ... haha

Reach the highway ... suddenly felt that it is super duper long stretch ... when i look ahead, I thought i will be able to turn in MR at the next juncture. BUT NO ! UGH !

Yeah Yeah! turning back into the starting point again!
Saw Tiwazz, roonz, angelicawonders.

Saw Eunice, asked her if she want to grab some food to eat and walk the begining of the 4th round. I think if I were to stop to eat lunch, I will not continue liao .. becos mentally, Im weak liao ....
Eunice was also keen on the idea ... she did not want to break for too long ... :)
4th round
Grab my peanut butter sandwich, took 100 plus .. think I need some glucose .. if not I might faint.
Tiwazz, roonz, anglica decide to join us for the 4th lap.
Roonz n anglica went off shortly after.
Tiwazz walked together with us.

We decide that we will walked for any upslope
Not long after I finished my bread, we started to jog ........
Oh man! I felt sitches on the right side .... die lor ....
Decide to endure the pain ... think i can "run over it"

Not bad ... after a while, it was not there.

Eunice went strong ahead.
Was jogging/ walking with Tiwazz.

At the road outside SCC stretch, it was downslope all the way .... felt so shiok to go down! Like a bicycle going down slope .. effortless .. and u can feel the wind blowing against u!

Stop at drinks station to take 100 plus. Very impt! I need the glucose ...

Had alot of fun jogging down another stretch.

Felt strong at some point along the way.

Reach the highway again! Saw Eunice once again just ahead of me.
Turn back in MR ... saw bee and sxuanjing.

Total time clocked now is 6 hrs

5th round
Finally ROUND!!!!!!!!!!

We decide to grab some 100 plus before we continue.

Think this round, I will walk most of the way.
If not, will be run when I can .. stop when I need.

We walked most of the way, chit-chatting.

Ultra came by at the golf course there. Saw him with a pouch with sweets! Feel like asking him to give me one ... haha .. but maybe he will scold me for slowing him down. :P

Was surprised to see Sotong and Cheow at the golf course also?! They walked in so to take photos of us! Oh my! And the stretch in was especially muddy?!

Saw Eunice once again at the highway.
We walked most of the way ... was complaining to her, this stretch is like super long with so many uphills? If Im not wrong, there is a total of 3 bus stops?

Ran in back to the starting point!

Yes! We did it !! We completed 5 rounds in 8 hrs!

Tktan helped us to take a photo with the timming board!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dont understand why am my legs were so dirty??! There were mud splutter up to my tighs?!
Think there is something wrong with the way I walked!!!

Hmm .. surprisingly, I wasnt hungry ........ no cravings for any food!
Decide to take a small bao anyway ....

Went to wash my shoes ... must wash out all the mud .. if not go home, I will choked out my house toilet.

Saw some guys bathing at the area, this is the time I wish I was a guy. Just bathe there!

Went to change, wash up abit.

Ok ... now can go find some more food.
Took a small cornetto .... the sandwiches I made ....

Found the MR uncle giving the T-shirt .... it is a Nike Run-a-holic T-shirt.
He told us it is unisex?! But when i saw clearly, it is labelled as "MENS"?! What can i say ?!?!
Took the S size .. but the armhole still look huge to me!

Went to collect my cert ... distance written on top was 52km ...
Hmm .. i thought each round was 10.8km ? so x 5 = 54km ?!
Sat near the ending point to cheer the rest.

Had alot of fun talking ...

The most funny thing was when Sotong mentioned abt there is a tram at MR ... there are actually people who start asking " u mean there is actually a TRAM at MR? ... I have been running so many times at MR ... I have never seen a TRAM .... " They start to have doubts about being quite sure there arent any trams in MR!
DUHZZZ

Sotong leh ... you must learn to discount 90% of the things he say ... :P

Any funny thing was went Sotong trying to imitate how Bee talk. Haha

Left around 530 pm with Tiwazz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Im so glad I did the run! :)
We are blessed with very good weather indeed. Not hot ... dint rain at all.

Must thank those people who bothered to hear me whine over MSN .... so indecisive abt running!

Special thanks all the supportere who were great in taking photos ! Providing food!

Surprisingly, I dint suffer much aches? Less aches then my 21km for SCSM ...
weird ....
N i havent sleep since finishing the Ultra ...

Seow liao ...

7 comments:

KickJazz said...

Congrats Loti!! Wow!! Amazing! :)

Agree with what you said : "So is life like this also? When you are faced with a problem, giving up is easy ... but if you continue, you might find the light at the end of the tunnel? I dont know .....". SO true. Got to remember it :)

kops21 said...

You have fun hor! Ultra Marathoner.

Renohtaram said...

yay, you've joined me in the ranks of the last-minute-decide-to-run-Ultramarathon persons :)

JT said...

U DID IT Loti! You did not train for it but you ran a ULTRAMARATON!! Wow, Great JOB! You just shown to us that 'you just have to believe in yourself' and YOU CAN DO IT!!! Aunty is very proud of you. You have a lot of determination and guts that not many have. Well Done, Charlotte mei mei!!!

roentgen said...

Amazing Achievement Loti!! We are so proud of you - going beyond the limit and completing the ultramarathon in fine form :)

So now, your max distance is way more than the rest of us mere marathoners... see you at SCSM 07 yah? :)

Ronnie said...

Congrats !!!
So, what next .... full marathon ???

Ripley Runs said...

well, its time to register for a full marathon in 2007 liao lor... :) congratulations...