Monday, December 31, 2007

Ultra Marathon

Insane will be how I will describe my run today.

Woke up at 445 am. Had my 2 slice of peanut butter bread + meiji milk. Mouth still itchy, decide to eat 1 chocolate chocky stick.
Left home, hope to catch the 1st 852 to MR.
Reached bus stop at 605 am, waited till 620+ then the bus came!
While waiting, felt the urge to go toilet & clear my bowels! Tried to do it this mrn, but the urge was just not there?
Aiyah ... Ugh ! I really dont want to shit at MR toilet leh ..

Reached MR ard 635 am, went to register. My lucky no. today is 1083
Found Kops to tumpang our stuff in his car.

====================================================

The crowd seems the same as last yr. I expected much more people this yr.

1st lap
Started together with Eunice. She was my running buddy for last yr Ultra.
I think I lost her while we are running up this slope, I managed to squeeze thru the crowd.
So from here was running on my own.

I nearly tripped & fell while climbing 2 flight of stairs up the boardwalk!
B4 that I was still telling myself, this was the part where Eunice fell last yr.
Without any warnings, my leg somehow kick on the 2nd step that nearly send me flying far!
For some reasons, I managed to keep my balance. Or else .....................

Saw Sxuanjing at the last part of the trail area before we hit back the main road.
So far so good.

Took around 1 hr 10 mins for this lap.
Time: 8:10 am

2nd lap
Went into the trails again. At this pt I actually felt abit tired from running up the slope.
Die ... this is not a good sign at all ... this is only the 2nd lap.

Never mind, just run slower abit ... should be fine.

Came out from SRCC ... start to feel that my body felt abit weird.
& I realise I was finishing my bottle of water much faster than my norm run.
But I still felt very thirsty.
Not sure why did I feel odd ... is it because Im dehydrating ?

After drinking the 100 plus .. got this bloated feeling .. keep on want to burp ..
feel stuck !

Or becos Im running too fast ... so fatigue start to set in already?
Looking at my watch, Im really faster than last yr ..
Start to be worried, I dont want to kill myself b4 I even completed the 5 rounds.

Although I felt that I was drinking more than usual, but also dint want to drink too much becos I dun want to go toilet!

Saw Sxuanjing again ! This time was near the golf course area.
They are really walking the reverse direction to take photos of the runners ! Kudos for the effort !

Time: 9:25

3rd Lap
Decide to take some "white rabbit sweet" along with me.
Not sure what casues the "odd" feeling. Maybe I just lack the sugar ?
And told myself to drink more water .. & dont be lazy in going toilet!

This ger pass by me ... & commented that I ran too fast & I should just walk up the slope.
Yeah . she is right .. I also told myself to walk up any slope from now onwards.
Actually, I also dont think I have the energy to chiong up slopes .. .:P
Found her very familiar, but just cannot recall who she is ?

Inside the trails, saw the same ger again with her frens. Heard them calling her name .. then I realise she is sumiko tan!

Start to feel more "in control" for this lap.

Also start to ask myself if I can really do 6 laps today; per what I have intended to do.

Although I felt better now, but as compared to last yr, I felt more tired?
Result of running too fast in the beginning ?

See how things go bah ... "whatever will be will be ... "

Time: 10:45

4th Lap
Went to the toilet ! haha ..
Ok ... time to take my 1st slice of bread ..

Ate and walk at the same time .... dont really want to stop for too long .. wait engine stalled!

Walked up any slopes I saw ... run as much as I can on the flat grounds ... down slopes ..
Tell myself only to walk up slopes !

Start to feel abit strained at the area beneath my butt, & near the thigh ...
1st time felt this kind of nagging feeling at that area.

This yr ground is really not muddy as compared to last yr.

The golf course area was really kind of hot.

Now the main road area ... look everlasting ...
Start to walk up the slopes ...

Also start to ask myself .. "AM I REALLY GOING FOR THE 6th LAP ??
Or I should just slack .. then can sit by the roadside .. lim kopi . cheer the people.

This yr wasnt as fun as last yr also ...
Last yr every lap u come in ... u c familiar faces cheering you on ...

Time: cant rem

5th lap
Took the peanut butter bread ...
Swoop the tuna bread with Tiwazz ... Took out the ribenia & put into this bag in case he needs.

Yeah ! Last lap liao !

Told myself that If i go for the 6th Lap .. Im gg to pamper myself by WALKING all the way !

No more psychoing myself to run whenever I can .. n only WALK up slopes ..

Im just run by feel on the 6th lap, If i feel like running then I run .. if i wan to walk then I walk.
Thinking through all these actually make me very happy ... :P

Start to feel more strain on my legs ...
the foot area ...
& the steps I took start to be more unstable ... always in the danger of nearly twisting my leg ..

Time: 13:58
Total time taken : 6 hrs 58 min

Yeah ! My timming improve by 1 hr as compared to last yr ... :)

Saw Sotong ... Roonz .. Bose.

Sotong was taking photos ...

6th Lap
Hee .. now is the 6th lap .. YEAH ! Finally i can PAMPER myself .. by just WALKING !


Took another slice of bread
Decide to bring along the banana which Tiwazz brought for me.
Since Im walking .. so i must relax relax, eat .. smell the roses, enjoy the scenary.

Finished the bread b4 entering the trail .....
Then it suddenly DAWN one me MR is a place with Fierce Monkeys ... N Im bringing banana into the trail to eat ?!?!?!?!?
How smart can I go ?
I must have dropped my brain during one of the lap ... =(

Was thinking whether to throw it away ... but but ..

OK . i will just be more alert .. look out for monkeys . .if they really come over .. i will just "surrender" it to them.
Decide to carry the banana under my top. So they wont detect something familiar looking!

Ultraman came along shortly.
Chit-chat w him for a while.

So I was just walking .. looking out for monkeys at the same time.

Bump into peacefool, tao & another guy (forgot his nick). They are also happily walking .. & chit-chatting at the same time.
Told them abt my banana !

Came out of the trails.
1st water stop ... ok . must eat the banana now ! if not ....

Uncle 1 :"U bring the banana all the way in ? I got free banana here .. & u dont want ? "
Uncle 2 : Free on not so tasty mah ...
=P



After off-loading the banana, I decide to run on the down-slopes.
Somehow, the walking make my leg abit sng also ?

Hmm .. looking at my watch .. I know I'll still have time to do the 7th lap with just walking.
But Im really tired already .. dont mind jus sit n nuah
& I spotted some dark clouds near the golf course .. I dun want to be running in the rain on my 7th lap ! I will curse myself.

Time: 15:55

Saw Kops & Taz.

Still got 3 more hrs ..
Dont know whether to do the 7th lap ?
Scare I walk in halfway ... I regret big time & curse myself ??

Check my placing ... the uncle say that if i were to attempt the 7th lap .. i will hv chance to get the prizes.
Its really so near yet so far ?

Decide to "Just DO IT"
If not .. i might curse myself for not attempting ?

7th Lap
Dint take any food for this lap.

Charmane came by shortly, ask me to "jia you"
Told her my tank is completely empty already, nothing to squeeze out .. just got energy to go along.

The strategy is still to run on down-slopes only.
But had to stop more often to walk for a while .. then run again.

Realise if I stopped & walk for toooo long ... my legs just refused to start running again.

Finally, I came out to the main road!!
Yeah ... very very soon, I will complete the 7th lap.

From far, i saw a familiar figure.
Was amazed that I found the strength to run all the way even on the up-slope.
When initially, I told myself I definitely have to walk up the slopes .. no more energy liao.
Got motivation bah.

Yeah ! Finally, I have completed the 7th lap!!!

Time: 17:33
Total Time taken: 10:33:52
====================================================

My initial goal was to do 6 laps for this Ultra, based on my timming last yr i know i can finish 6 laps & theoretically I should have the stamina to finish it.

Attempted 7 laps instead as I felt that I was really close to winning the prize ...

I seriously think it is not easy to run such distance.
Mentally you must be strong, you must be able to psycho urself ?
Like .. "Im very happy that Im running this kind of distance? "

For me, I dint get any "runners' high".
Since I had the aim of doing 6 laps & considering that I have sufficient time, I think I should do it.
& doing the 7 lap was like i might be really close to winning the prize. & I have 3 hrs to complete the last lap, which was more than sufficient.
I dont want to be asking myself "What if? "

But after completing the 7th lap, & people were telling me that I was the 5th place (ie .. i might not win anything), I wasnt exactly disappointed also .. dont know why.

I was also worried abt getting myself injured. Since the rule was to "increase 10% of your mileage every week?"
SCSM was the longest run .... my last run was last sat (which was walking > running)
The longest mileage clocked was 15km after SCSM.
I dont want to get injured .. just for 1 race.
I dont want to be because of 1 race ...I cant exercise for very long & get myself FAT.

I dint think of any food this time.

==========================================================
Im glad that i did 7th lap.
At least now .. i can dont think abt running Ultra next yr liao ! =p
Im glad that they have a prize for 5th position.

I know that im not strong enough to sign up for a 84km run n do it ...
I think its a torture ..
I wont enjoy it because I cant run if I know I DIE DIE must completely a certain distance.

To think 3 yrs ago .. I think people who run inside MR are crazy ..
I always think its dangerous to run on trails ..

I got fair bit of abrasion, lucky its not the "deep" kind .. doesnt give me stingy pain while bathing ... but so ugly!

Im happy that I completed it.
Although I must still say .. its INSANE !

11 comments:

Daniel_ said...

Congrats on ur completion of Ultra-Marathon.
Have a Happy New Year!!!

KickJazz said...

Congrats on ur 7 laps, Ultramarathoner!

I didn't know sumiko tan runs!!!

ecneret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
terence0023 said...

congrats on your completion & prize.......

Well done!!!!!!!!!

Burnz said...

7th laps MR...

you are power leh.. well done.

what the prize?

Burnz said...

oh, saw the prize photo liao.

nice nice leh!

run to live said...

finally, u realised what is insane........anyway, u walked too much to be able to experience the runner's high......next yr 8 laps....

Ronnie said...

Well-done & congrats ! Have a well-deserved rest now !

ppb said...

7 laps is a wonderful achievement, congrats!

roentgen said...

Loti, you have gone from strength to strength! Congrats, well done and enjoy the rest that you deserve.

Reading your account, even Old Bones feels inspired to attempt the Ultramarathon some time in the very distant future... :P

Eunice said...

charlotte! Happened to drop by ur blog this lazy Sunday while im nuaing at home... haha...well done! Yea, it's insane, but it was a very accomplished feeling right? :p

My 2nd right toenail is being pulled out by me now, but it's still halfway out only, cuz it's too painful to pull out the whole nail! Argh. And the 3rd nail is dead too, needa pull that out another day... hope ur legs r better now! Go swim! It helps a lot! :)