This is my 1st 21km competitive run. Not my 1st 21km run thou. This will be e 3rd time running a distance of 21km; (1) with Tiwazz, our LSD preparation for AHM; (2) the usual monthly BG run with Sg Runners.
1st time having jitters before a run ! Maybe because it is 21km. Thinking back, last year Std Chart marathon, I only tie the champion chip when I reached the "scene", as I always have this paranoid thinking that if I were to tie it so early, what if the chip "die" halfway! then How ? I would also only pinned my bib when I reached the place also. Come to think of it, I even had a beer with my fren at fishermen's village the night before last year std chart.
After knowing Sg Runners, make me more KS ! Tie the champion chip, pin the bib the night before. Make myself sleep as early as 9pm ! Well, but I did not managed to fall asleep at all. Was tossing and turning ..didnt have any deep sleep at all. Was in between sleep all the way till 2 am. Give up! Decide to wake up instead, read newspaper/ i-weekly & have breakfast. My 1st time have breakfast before a run too. Think i better eat, since Im running 21km. What if I were to run 3 hrs ? I would have die of hunger halfway. My carbo-loading the night before was my favourite korean food - BiBiBmap @ the foodcourt (prior was known as H20 zone ). Had a banana and 3/4 slice of bread with cheese for breakfast. Why 3/4 ? ha .. because I feel guilty about having the whole slice ? Thats me, think that having 3/4 will make me feel better. But in the end I will still nimble off the 1/4 ? And yes, I did finish the 1/4 before I left home !
Reach the starting point very early ! Like 420 am ? 1 hr 10 mins before the start time. Never before have I reached so early before a race.
Saw DO, Dream & Divey. Tiwazz have disappeared, dont know where did he go to do this complicated, comprehensive stretching. Shortly after, IMD, his girlfriend & Bala came by. Bala start to do his stretching. While me, start to feel restless ... feel like sleeping liao. And wonder, how come need to stretch for so long one these people. But then its me, I know I always never do proper stretching before I start, just anyhow stretch here and there. And thats it ! Consider job done! Was introduced to Flip by Bala. Finally, meeting her in person !
Went to the starting point. AHM was nothing like Std Chart. The fun element is not there at all. After a few words from the MC ( or whoever), suddenly the race just start, off we go. Thats it, Im going to do my 21km. Everyone start to run at their own pace, no familiar faces near me, although I was at the starting poing with a few Sg Runners. This moment, I was glad that I had bring my MP3 player along. Suddenly, a lonely feeling is felt. I am running this race alone, although there were many runners beside me. However, I felt lonely .. dont know why ! I have done many runs alone before, that was even more lonely .. since there were only me, the surroundings and sometimes a few cars will zoom pass. I quicly brush aside the lonely feelings and concentrate on my music, and the surroundings.
Shortly after, we hit Sheares bridge when the skies is still dark. Friday's paper mention that this is the only opportunity where you can run up the whole stretch of the bridge and enjoy the scenary. What scenary mah, the sun is not even out ! Everything was just dark. Saw the 7km marker, not bad, so fast 7 km liao ! Still feel very good, still got alot of energy. Procrastinating whether to increase my speed. But remember the advise from the rest - 21Km cannot run too fast, wait "ponchet". ok ok ... SLOW is the motto of the day. "Slow n Steady win the race" ! Dont be too over-complacent !
When i entered into fort road, I spotted IMD in the opp direction. Aiyo .. so fast, he is coming out of EC liao. Came out of East Coast & we have cleared the 10km mark. Yippee ! Physically and mentally, I still feel very good. It is only here, I start to see people like Junie, Kick, Bee. Now might be the time to pick up abit more speed.
Was constantly looking out for distance marker so as to pace myself better. Since I dont wear a watch or whatever not.
But ... I seen none ! Im so blur & blind meh ?!?! Finally, I see the 17 Km marker ! Wa lau .... %*@)#*!*)!%
All the while, I only see things like "50m U-turn ahead" .. "50m to water-point" !
Saw some motivation card along the way too, some are quite interesting, slowed down abit here to look at everyone of them. There were also army boys who were force to cheer us. They sounded so lame ... DUHZ !
There were also this army guy, using a loud-hailer & cheering in hokkien ! OMG ! I felt kind of disgusted, does he have to do that ?!
Finally, start to see distance markers after every 1 km, 18km .... 19km. Great ! So far, the feeling have been great ! Physically, the legs are still very "guai" .. never give me any problems. Mentally, I still dont feel a drag doing this 21km run.
19km mark ! yippee ! 2 more km to go ! Wow, at this point, my MP3 player starts to play 光良- 童�。 So nice, one of my favourite song at the right time. Ok, entertain myself abit & make my run more interesting. I told myself I will chiong all the way till the song finish. At this point, I felt my legs are flying instead, music does have a wonderful effect ! Dont they ?
Now, I see the finishing line right in front of me .... Chiong ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
I did it ! Completing my 1st half marathon in 2 hrs 25 min (gun time). Chip time should be faster ?
So whats next ?
Monday, August 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment